Adrenaline, nerves, speed, control and lack of control, danger, madness, sweat, happiness, tension, smiles ... Perhaps these are some of the words that can describe what is behind an action or sport photo. Surely if you have ever tried to photograph an extreme image (even with your mobile phone) you have felt this way.
My photographs attract attention (at least that's what they say) for the great contrasts, the use of flash and the very studied compositions. They are key elements that I like to work with, and in my opinion they can make a difference and make viewers look at a photograph for a couple of seconds, or more than a minute.
Currently I combine my profession as a photographer with that of filmmaker, since there are many projects that require stills and video. It is a field where I find myself comfortable but which requires taking care of every detail as much as possible (Photoshop does not yet exist for video with which to manipulate both images afterwards).
To get high impact images I leave you some tips:
- Know your photographic equipment, its use and management well. You must have confidence that you will be able to solve any problem that arises during the session.
- If you do not practice the sport you are going to photograph, research beforehand: watch videos on YouTube, or consult riders or models about the most important positions or moments of the action. It is essential that you understand the dynamics of each sport.
- Try to surround yourself with riders or models who have discipline under control, do not risk it, it is very easy for everything to go well and for everything to go wrong.
- Visit the spots before taking the photographs (whenever you can). It is interesting to plan the areas where to place yourself, observe what the spot light will be, etc.
- Pay attention to lighting conditions. Without light there is no photo.
ABOUT JAIME DE DIEGO
I am Jaime de Diego, photographer with more than 17 years of experience in action, sports and motor photography. For much of my career I have worked for magazines and brands related to moving scenes, capturing the most intense moments of running, selecting the exact moment in which the pilot puts his knee on the asphalt of a circuit or photographing the key moment in the execution of a Wallride.
As a photographer I have been able to work with some of the most recognized athletes worldwide, including Kilian Jornet, Marc Márquez, Carlos Sainz, Garbiñe Muguruza, Mario Mola, Daphne Schippers, Sergio Layos, etc ... who have passed my goal and with whom it has been a real privilege to work.
One of my maxims. "You have to try to be in the right place at the right time. Getting a great photo can be thanks to luck or Karma, but it is usually more associated with hard work and a lot of effort ”
Instagram: @ jaimedediego.photography
Comments will be approved before showing.